Wednesday, June 8, 2011

2011 STEMS PLEIN AIR FESTIVAL

I can't believe how long it has been since I last posted.  Life sometimes gets in the way!  I will try to post more often :)

I just finished with the Stem's Plein Air Festival here in Kansas City.  This spring has been plagued with rain and thunderstorms, plus a few tornadoes.   One morning I was painting the little blue garden shed at the Arboretum.  The weather was overcast, and it started to sprinkle lightly.  Most of the other artists  packed up and left.  I thought to myself..... Now a plein air artist should be prepared to paint in any weather.... so I smugly put up my umbrella and continued to paint.  About 15 minutes later the heaven's opened up and it started to pour.... lightening was flashing, and then the tornado sirens started to blare.  I was fighting my umbrella, while tyring to get all of my gear stored away as my paint bag was filling with water.  I was a mess.   By the time I got everything together.... I could not find anyone!  Finally I found someone running through the parking lot, and followed them to a tornado shelter.  That is where the other artists were.... snug and dry, and I was soaked!  The tornado was sighted close by.... and was the same one that hit Sedelia, Missouri.  I was very fortunate!  About 30 minutes later.... the sun come out!  

The Arboretum's Garden Shed - 11 x 14 - oil on linen board


We all met at the Deanna Rose Farmstead to do a sunrise painting.  I chose to paint the little school house.  I loved the way the sun was shinning brightly onto the side of the school.  We all had a good time.  It is hard to finish a painting within 2 hours.

We turned in our paintings a couple of days ago.... and the judging will be announced tomorrow.  Wish me luck!

Helen's Little School House at Sunrise - Deanna Rose Farmstead - 11 x 14 - oil on linen board



3 comments:

Peggy wilson said...

Carole I love your choice of subjects for the Stem's paintings. Your paintings are so lush with summer color! I remember walking by you during the quick paint, and I may have taken a photo of you. I'll check and get back with you if I did.
I was at the Farmstead that Wed. the tornado came through Joplin. The Farmstead did not have a shelter! Children were running all over the place with the sirens going off.

Melissa said...

Amazing work! Are any of your pieces available in New Hope, PA or Lambertville NJ?? They absolutely should be! - Melissa

Elizabeth Merchant said...

The way I see it ... just found your site ... so better late than never. I've bookmarked your site and will visit often. Regarding Plein Aire ... it is the magical way to explain or show the passage of colors because of light changes. Kudos.